Insurance Discount for Drivers with Winter Tires
October 25, 2016
Ontario residents have something very exciting to look forward to in 2016. As per an article we will post below – found on the official Government of Ontario Page – drivers will be eligible to earn an insurance discount by meeting certain conditions! Read on below for more:
“Ontario is moving forward with its plan to help lower auto insurance rates by requiring all insurance companies in the province to provide a discount for drivers who buy and install winter tires, starting January 1, 2016.
Today, Minister of Finance Charles Sousa was at Canadian Tire where he participated in a demonstration showcasing the benefits of using winter tires to enhance safety in winter driving conditions.
Winter tires enhance safety and reduce the likelihood of collisions by improving traction, braking and handling in frost, snow, slush and under cold and icy conditions. When buying winter tires, Ontario is also reminding drivers to:
- Look for tires marked with a logo of a peaked mountain with a snowflake
- Install winter tires in sets of four
- Do not mix tires with different tread patterns or size
- Change tires that are worn close to the tread-wear indicators
- Check the tires’ air pressure at least once a month
Over the last two years, the government has introduced a number of important and necessary reforms to Ontario’s auto insurance system to reduce costs and lower the premiums of Ontario’s more than 9.5 million drivers. In order to continue achieving rate reductions, the government outlined a series of further initiatives in the 2015 Budget, including bringing costs more in line with other provinces and providing Ontario consumers with more choice in purchasing auto insurance to suit their needs.
Protecting auto insurance consumers and ensuring affordable premiums is part of the government’s plan to build Ontario up. The four-part plan includes investing in people’s talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario’s history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- Winter tires that are in good condition can shorten braking distances by as much as 25 per cent.
- Ontario’s accident benefits coverage is the most generous among provinces with private marketplace systems.
- Drivers with winter tires need to first contact their insurance company to determine the amount of the discount they offer and the documentation they require to verify use of winter tires.”
Make sure to inquire about this with your insurance provider, and to look for specifically marked winter tires!
WANT TO LEARN MORE? GIVE US A CALL!
Our Xtreme team will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have and assist you with anything you need.